Closed on Friday, 6 March 2015, 05:00pm (AEDT). Submissions are no longer being accepted.
NHMRC is currently seeking feedback on the draft Ethical guidelines for organ transplantation from deceased donors (Ethical Guidelines).
NHMRC is developing the Ethical Guidelines following a joint request from the Organ and Tissue Authority (OTA) and the Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ). The Australian Health Ethics Committee (AHEC) is overseeing the development of the Ethical Guidelines. The Ethical Guidelines will inform ethical practice in assessing the eligibility of an individual for transplantation, assessing the suitability of donor organs for transplantation, and allocating organs from deceased donors. Further information about the development of the Ethical Guidelines is available from NHMRC’s website.
Scope of the public consultation
Comments are invited on the content of the draft Ethical Guidelines with respect to the transplantation of solid organs and vascularised tissue composite allografts such as the hand or face, and specifically in relation to the following issues:
- assessing the eligibility of an individual for transplantation
- assessing the suitability of donor organs for transplantation
- allocating organs from deceased donors.
The following issues are outside the scope of the Ethical Guidelines and comments received on these issues during public consultation will not be considered:
- the process of organ donation
- transplantation of organs from living donors
- transplantation of human tissue
- transplantation of gametes, ovarian or testicular tissue, or embryos for reproductive purposes
- clinical protocols for transplantation of organs from deceased donors
How to make a submission
All submissions must be made through this online public consultation portal. If this is not possible, please contact the NHMRC Project Officer to make alternative arrangements (email: email@example.com).
Please note that email submissions will not be accepted.
When making a submission, you are requested to:
- identify the section/paragraph of the draft Ethical Guidelines
- provide your comments regarding that section/paragraph.