Our security responsibilities
We will ensure that:
- The data you provide will be safe. Encryption is used to protect the personal information you provide us and this data will only be used for the specified purpose
- Your data will be stored at a secure facility. Regular backups of data are performed to ensure it can be recovered in case of disaster
- All access to NHMRC websites is logged. If any unauthorised behaviour should occur, this will assist us in identifying and resolving the issue
- Password strengthening is applied to all NHMRC websites. Automatic resets occur every 90 days.
Increasing your safety online
Protecting your computer
- Install and activate security software on your computer. Ensure your security software includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and anti-spam filters
- Run regular scans of your computer for viruses
- Remember to update your security software to ensure you are always running the current version
Other steps you should take to help protect your computer include:
- Check your Internet browser’s security settings for ways to make your browsing more secure
- Do not open email attachments if you do not know the sender
- Only download files from reputable Internet sites
- Be wary when exchanging files with colleagues or friends
- Never click on hyperlinks in emails received from unknown sources.
Protecting your password
- Never share your password with anyone
- Never send your password via email
- Make your password as strong as possible
You should report and suspicious or unauthorised activity relating to your use of any of NHMRC’s websites by contacting us. This will make us to make all NHMRC websites as secure as possible.